This post may contain affiliate links, you can read my affiliate disclosure here.
It’s been over a month now since I’ve received the bulk of my essential oils and I thought I’d share a few of my favorite ways I’ve been using them.
Since I got a little overwhelmed at the number of oils I have I decided to just start using a few of them for now and once I know the uses for those ones I’ll look into using some of the other ones.
Essential oils are usually diluted with a carrier oil because they are so potent on their own. For the most part I dilute the oils in coconut oil (I just melt the coconut oil and then add the essential oils in and it hardens again), except when it comes to Raeca, she reacts to coconut oil (gets a bit of a rash) so when I use essential oils on her I dilute them with almond oil.
Another thing I want to note: I’ve read that some essential oils with work for some people and not for others, kind of like how Tylenol works for some (not me) and Advil works for others (me!), so just because an essential oil doesn’t work for you when everyone else claims it’s amazing doesn’t mean that essential oils don’t work, but maybe you need to try a different one to find one that will work for you.
Some of the oils I’m sharing about today are single oils and some are blends, for the blends I’ve also shared which store I’ve purchased the blend from just as an FYI, most brands will have similar blends. For instance, a few companies carry “thieves oil” while other companies have the same oil but call it something different, often a name with the word “immune” in it.
Also, I’m not a doctor or anything, this is just how I use essential oils for myself and my family.
* I use this undiluted on my face for acne, I just put one or two drops into my palm and then use my fingertip to put it on any breakouts, it does seem to help, I have a friend who says lemon works the same way for her but I haven’t found it to work for me (thought it does smell a lot better, so I wish it did!)
* this is also one of the oils I use in my diy deodorant
* any one out there use Goo Gone? lemon essential oil has completely replaced it for me, I add a bit of lemon essential oil to a cloth or paper towel and rub the sticky glue off of my old glass jars so I can reuse them
* lemon is a great oil for cleaning and I use this in my basic cleaning solution (I’ll share that recipe soon!)
* I use this one in my diy deodorant as well
* I add a few drops in to my kitchen garbage when I put a fresh bag in, it helps remove any nasty smells and makes it smell citrusy
* I’m not a huge fan of the smell of lavender but I’ve added one drop to my tube of mascara because I’ve heard it strengthens eyelashes, I don’t wear mascara very often so I can’t say I’ve noticed a difference yet but I figured it couldn’t hurt to try it
* when I feel a cold coming on I add 2-3 drops into about a quarter cup of water and drink it quickly with a straw (without the straw all your food for the rest of the day will taste Italian). I made sure the oregano oil I use says its for internal use (I have this one that I got from a local store) and it seems to stop a cold in it’s tracks
thieves (Eden’s Garden)
* I love putting this one in the diffuser, when diffused it is supposed to kill airborne germs so I often have this running when we have people over or shortly after they leave. friends, we love you, we just don’t want your germs 🙂
* it is also supposed to be good for building up immunity so I mix this with a carrier oil and put it on the my feet in the mornings (and I do the same for the kids’ feet)
* one of the oils used in my diy deodorant
* and of course there is my favorite thieves oil foaming hand soap
calming the child (Plant Therapy)
* I dilute this one in carrier oil and put it on Raeca’s neck before bed. Since I started doing this she’s had no night terrors, I’m not sure if that’s just a coincidence or not but it does seem to help calm her down in general too
purification (Eden’s Garden)
* this one I run in the diffuser when we’ve made something that doesn’t smell so great, like fish, or after breakfast since Jared usually boils a few eggs and I can’t stand the smell
muscle relief (Eden’s Garden)
* this one seems to work great on sore muscles, just mix it with a carrier oil and rub it on wherever you feel soreness
This is just a start into the oils I’ve been trying, I definitely think there will be a part two to this post in the next few months.
You can view the rest of my posts on essential oils here.
What are your favorite oils and ways to use them?
SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER!
Hi Friend, I would love for you to sign up for my seasonal-ish newsletter! I would love to send it monthly but I feel like in this season of my life that will probably not happen but I would like to commit to sending one out at least every three months.
In the newsletter you can expect little (or big!) life updates, what I've been reading in the Bible, and all sorts of resources I've been loving and lessons God has been teaching me.