This post may contain affiliate links, you can read my affiliate disclosure here.
This winter is like every other Saskatchewan winter – cold and dry.
We have spells of -40 weather and the furnace is running constantly, sucking all potential moisture out of our home and leaving our skin dry and itchy.
It doesn’t help that we have a problem with dry skin to begin, Raeca has a long struggle with dry skin and eczema and Ephraim’s beautiful African skin needs a lot of moisturizing.
So, I’ve been experimenting with some different lotions and have come up with one that we love!
I originally intended to make a body butter but it turned out more lotion-y and that ended up being a pleasant surprise because it works even better than I expected!
In the last few years as I’ve been turning to more and more natural products (or more like, DIY-ing natural products), I’ve realized how horrible beauty store lotions smell. I’m not even sensitive to smells and I think they smell overpowering and unnatural. With this recipe you can ditch the store lotion and just use this.
The fact that it only takes a few ingredients: shea butter, coconut oil, grapeseed oil and essential oils makes it even better!
I’ve only been using grapeseed oil for a little while now but I’ve been reading up some of it’s great benefits for your skin and I love how affordable it it is, so it’s perfect in this recipe.
The essential oils I used are all supposed to be moisturizing and good for skin so I used: frankincense, ylang ylang, rosemary and lavender, though you can feel free to use your own preferred combination of oils.
DIY Moisturizing Natural Lotion
- 1/2 cup shea butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 drops frankincense essential oil
- 2 drops ylang ylang essential oil
- 2 drops rosemary essential oil
- 1 drop lavender essential oil*
- Place the shea butter in a microwave safe container and microwave for 30 seconds at a time until partially melted, mine took one minute.
- Add the coconut oil and using an electric better whip the two together until smooth.
- Add in the grapeseed oil and essential oils and mix with a spoon.
- Place it in a container and use just like lotion! I like to use this lotion out of the shower and for extra moisturizing for my son, after he has the lotion on I rub plain grapeseed oil on his skin.
*Neither my daughter nor I really like the smell of lavender oil, hence the one drop, if you love it feel free to use two drops.
Do you have a favorite DIY natural lotion? What kind of ingredients do you use?
If you try this recipe let me know how it goes!