This post may contain affiliate links, you can read my affiliate disclosure here.
let her sleep
for when she wakes
she will move mountains
Like most members of the female gender I’ll in love with Pinterest. The problem is that I have a habit of pinning things that I like but not actually doing them. I’ve been sick all week and by this morning I had completely lost my voice (lucky for Jared). I decided that was a great time to actually make something -especially since one of my goals for 2012 was to create more. I had fun with this project and might share a few more Pinterest projects on here.
A couple days ago I had pinned this photo via this post:
At the end of the post she explains how she made the canvas. I followed her little tutorial and this is what I came up with:
It’s not exactly the same but I think that’s the joy of DIY. Looking at this photo I’m reminded of how much I really need to recover that lamp shade, maybe that will be my next DIY. I bet Pinterest has a tutorial on that.
If you are interested in making your own, here are the steps that I used:
* painted the canvas a dark grey
* streaked some light grey over it and along the edges
* used my silhouette to cut out the letters from a road atlas I have (I used two pages -states that I didn’t think we would be visiting). You could totally use a stencil for the letters instead
* used mod podge to stick the letters on -I used a ruler to make sure the words were straight but I’m not entirely convinced my ruler was even straight
* put a layer of mod podge over the entire canvas
I still haven’t decided if I will keep the canvas in Raeca’s room or sell it . . . my house doesn’t have enough room to hold all the crafts I make. Unfortunately.
A couple of notes:
* the canvas I used was 12 x 16
* I think I would like it a little more (and the words would show up better) if the grey had been darker
Are you making things you pin on Pinterest? If so, I would love to see them!
Updated: I think I’m going to use a Sharpie and add a drop shadow to the words, I think that will make them stand out better.