I know I said I was going to share some posts on marriage this month and I plan on doing that soon but I thought I would start with an easy, fun post.
Road trips are one of my favorite ways to travel (coming in second only to European train travel) and even though we have kids I have found road trips to be one of the best times for Jared and I to have some great conversations – some of our big life decisions have been discussed and decided on road trips!
I hope to eventually share some road trip conversation starters that involve the whole family soon but I thought it would be fun to start with the couple specific ones.
We’ve been road tripping with our kids since our oldest was young and they do great with entertaining themselves in the vehicle (plus we always pack tons of different options along) so we actually get a lot of couple talking time in.
Unlike women guys generally like to be side-by-side when having deep conversations (women tend to prefer face-to-face conversations) so chatting while driving will often allow them to open up more than normal. I’ve made a point of including both some deep and some light questions in this list so you can mix it up a bit.
ROAD TRIP CONVERSATION STARTERS FOR COUPLES
1. What have you enjoyed learning about lately?
2. What is something that surprised you in the last few months?
3. If you could earn enough money doing what you love, what would you do?
4. How can I specifically help you during this next season?
5. What has been your favorite road trip?
6. What would be your ideal road trip?
7. What is your favorite memory of our dating years?
8. What talent do you really wish you had?
9. If you could have any animal in the world as a pet, what would you choose?
10. If you could choose just one super power, what would you choose?
11. If you won the lottery and all the bills and debts were paid, what would you do with the rest of the money?
12. Would you rather have a rewind or pause button on your life?
13. What compliment would you like to hear from me more often?
14. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
15. What profession have you always admired?
16. If you could live anywhere in the world for a year where would you choose?
17. What tradition do you think we should begin as a family?
18. What book has had the biggest impact on your life?
19. What is your favorite book of the Bible?
20. What activities would you like to do together more?
21. What is one thing you look forward to the most about growing old together?
22. What meal would you like to eat more often?
23. What are some positive character traits you would like to develop or grow in?
24. Are there areas in our life we are spending too much money that we could cut back on?
25. How would you spend your time if the electricity went out for 24 hours?
26. If we continue on the same path what do you think our life would look like in 10 years? Are there things we should change?
27. What is something you have done that you are proud of?
28. What do you think is our greatest strength as a couple?
29. What can we do to celebrate important dates in the future (birthdays, anniversaries, etc)?
30. Which one of your parents are you most like?
31. How can we serve our community?
32. What is your favorite way for me to show you I love you?
33. What do you think we need to work on the most in our relationship?
34. What has been the happiest day of your life?
35. What do you want to do when you retire?
36. What has been your favorite age?
37. What would be your idea of the perfect 25th anniversary trip?
38. If you could go back in time to before you were born, what period of history would you choose?
39. What is your favorite part about travel?
40. Where should we go on our next road trip?
Do you like road tripping? What questions would you add to this list?
SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER!
Hi Friend, I would love for you to sign up for my seasonal-ish newsletter! I would love to send it monthly but I feel like in this season of my life that will probably not happen but I would like to commit to sending one out at least every three months.
In the newsletter you can expect little (or big!) life updates, what I've been reading in the Bible, and all sorts of resources I've been loving and lessons God has been teaching me.